"Many writers silence themselves by thinking."
I like this quote as it is the ideal that got me writing. I always had thoughts roaming in my head about stories but I never took the time to write them down. I am a pacer in that I can get really worked up into a story unfolding in my head and just pace as it explodes in my mind. I surprise myself at how detailed I can be and how I think about all of it at once.
One day, I just opened my Word document page and forced myself to stop pacing and just write. Before I knew it I had wrote five pages without much thought. I might stop every now and then to pace and get back in my comfort zone of just thinking about it when I am stuck. It is still hard to catch myself now and again to write my thoughts out before those thoughts continue so far ahead I forgot how I started.
Really it is just a matter of starting to write your thoughts out and it has become more and more natural every time I do it.
Maybe one day there will be a device that can take our thoughts and type them out but that is not a talent that writers are needed for. I used to think it was too hard to write out a detailed scene but it is how you put it and the key ideas that matter to the reader and they will take it from there.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I agree, writing is a great way to calm the furry of thoughts and ideas that often circle inside our heads.
ReplyDeleteWhat a great example to illustrate this quote. We often do silence ourselves before we can write and record our ideas. Maybe we tell ourselves that the idea is bad, maybe we try too hard to be a perfect writer in a first draft. We need to let ourselves write, openly and without self-criticism.
ReplyDelete